The Mill Plaza
25 Beacon Street East
Laconia, NH 03246
(603) 524 8813
Open year-round, please call ahead to confirm hours. Currently:
Wednesdays thru Fridays: 10am to 6pm
Saturdays: 10am to 4pm
‘Where arts and history come to life!’
The Belknap Mill is:
- The Official Meetinghouse of the State of New Hampshire.
- The oldest unaltered brick textile mill in the U.S.
- The only industrial knitting museum in the U.S.
- The Lakes Region's year-round art and history center
- A four-story building incorporating a museum, art gallery, concert hall and event facilities
Built in 1823, the Belknap Mill is the only building left that represents the first stage of the Industrial Revolution in America. It is the oldest, unaltered brick textile mill in the United States. The Belknap Mill was one of the first mills to convert from weaving to knitting during the Civil War.
One of the first listed buildings on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, the Belknap Mill shows how preservation and history can combine in a community based museum and cultural arts center.